XIV MONTERREY INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL 2018
Call for Entries Open
The Monterrey International Film Festival in collaboration with the Nuevo Leon Council for Culture and the Arts, the Culture Secretariat of the Nuevo Leon Autonomous University, Cinepolis Sala de Arte, and the Federal Ministry of Culture, invites you to participate in its fourteenth edition, to take place August 23 through August 30, 2018.
1. Eligibility. Short-length and full-length films produced after January 1, 2017 are eligible to participate. All registered titles must at least be local (Nuevo Leon) premieres. International/National premieres are preferred.
2. Film length. Short films must be between 1 and 30 minutes long. Full-length films must be longer than 60 minutes. Medium-length films will not be accepted in any category.
3. Registry. Feature and short films opting for selection in competitive and non-competitive sections must be submitted exclusively through the following platforms:
– No other submission format shall be accepted (including Vimeo, YouTube, ftp, WeTransfer or any others).
– Filmmakers can enter as many films as they see fit.
– Works in progress will not be accepted.
– Films whose original language is Spanish do not need to submit subtitles for registration; however, any other film made in a language different from Spanish must have Spanish and/or English subtitles.
– It is not necessary to submit any other documents until the film is selected. The selection will be notified via email.
– Registering a film to the Festival means accepting the conditions of this call for entries.
4. The producers should own the rights of all the materials resulting in the final film: script, music, audio, pictures, etc. At any moment in the selection process, the Festival can request a letter from the distributor or producer to certify the possession of the rights. In case the participant does not submit such documents, the film will be immediately disqualified from the selection process.
5. All participants can submit their films in the following available categories:
I. International: Any nationality except Mexican. In case of co-productions with Mexico, the director must choose a single category in which to participate (International/Mexican):
International Feature Films: Fiction
International Feature Films: Documentary
International Feature Films: Animation
International Short Films: Fiction
International Short Films: Documentary
International Short Films: Animation
II. Mexican: Only films produced with Mexican funding will be considered for this category. In case of international co-productions, the director must choose a single category in which to participate (International/Mexican):
Mexican Feature Films: Fiction
Mexican Feature Films: Documentary
Mexican Short Films: Fiction
Mexican Short Films: Documentary
Mexican Short Films: Animation
III. Nuevo León: This section is for any full-lenght/short film: feature, documentary or animated film in the following categories:
Nuevo León Feature Film *
Nuevo León Short Film *
* The films submitted in this section should meet at least one of the following requirements:
1. The film has been directed, produced, written and/or starred by people born in Nuevo Leon (residents for at least 3 years).
2. The film has been shot, at least 70%, in Nuevo Leon.
3. The film has been produced by a person or production company whose head office is in Nuevo Leon.
Note: This call for entries does not include the student film category. The call for entries will be published separately.
DEADLINES AND RATES
6. This call for entries has three periods.
I. Early bird: February 8 to 28, 2018
International Short Films: $5 USD
Mexican Short Films: $2 USD
International and Mexican Feature Film: $7 USD
Nuevo Leon section, feature and short films: without fee
II. Regular entry: March 1 to April 30, 2018
International Short Film: $8 USD
Mexican Short Films: $4 USD
Nuevo Leon Short Film: $ 4 USD
Nuevo Leon Feature Film: $8 USD
Mexican and International Feature Film: $10 USD
III. Late entry: May 1 to 18, 2018
International Short Film: $12 USD
Mexican Short Film: $8 USD
Nuevo Leon Short Film: $5 UDS
Mexican and International Feature Film: $15 USD
Nuevo Leon Feature Film: $8 USD
7. The payment of the entry fee is the participant’s responsibility, and does not, in any way, guarantee the film participation in the Official Selection of the Festival.
ABOUT THE SELECTION PROCESS
8. Due to the volume of entries, arrival of submissions and preview copies cannot be confirmed except through each submission platform’s own notification process. Only selected films will be notified via email. The programming team’s decision is final.
9. The final Official Selection will be announced online at www.monterreyfilmfestival.com and at www.conarte.org.mx. after July 30, 2018.
10.Registered films must be local premieres. Films that have had a commercial run in the city of Monterrey, or those committed to be exhibited in any way before the Festival dates, may be considered, but will not be high priority during the selection process.
11. The films that are available on YouTube or some other website that is open to all audiences will not be considered to be part of the Official Selection.
12. Only finished films will be accepted.
13. The Monterrey International Film Festival cannot accept films in which its employees have participated as director, producer, screenwriter or lead actor. This also applies to the Festival’s consultants, suppliers, and officers of Cultural Secretariat at UANL, CONARTE, and the Federal Ministry of Culture. Projects and activities related to or representative of municipal, state or federal public institutions will not be accepted. Employees and owners of sponsors and trade partners of the Festival cannot participate.
14. The Festival Programming Committee reserves the right to change a film registered in one category to another if it deems it necessary.
15. The Organizing Committee will designate a jury comprised of three specialists of renowned trajectory. They will be responsible to select the winning films for each category.
16. The jury will be appointed before the Festival starting date. Their decisions cannot be appealed.
17. The jury may declare any category void if it deems it necessary.
18. The director of each winning category will receive the Cabrito de Plata and the prizes given by the sponsors of the Festival.
The Best Nuevo Leon Feature Film and the Best Nuevo Leon Short Film will be awarded with $20,000 MXN-worth in production equipment rent: camera, sound, lighting.*
19. In case a film is selected, the Festival requires that the filmmaker keep the same passwords provided for the online screenings, to facilitate the classification system of the Mexican government. This is an essential requirement and must be fulfilled until the Festival is over.
20. In the event that a film is selected, the producer, director or distributor shall send a trailer or preview of the film in professional video format, as well as the poster and other promotional materials required by the Festival.
21. Accepted projection formats for feature films are: Digital Cinema Format (DCP) and Blu-Ray.
22. International short films should send a file in .mov, H264, Full HD as minimum quality.
23. Nuevo Leon Short Films and Mexican Short Films projection format is DCP.
24. The projection copies whose native language is not English should provide subtitles in English, including films in Spanish.
25. In case your movie is in a language different from Spanish and you already have Spanish subtitles, please send the STR file or the dialogue list to us.
26. At any moment of the selection process the Festival can request a letter from the distributor or producer to certify that the possession of the rights and exhibition authorization is in order, as well as a commitment to turn in a copy of the film in HD.
Any eventuality not addressed in this call for entries will be solved by the Organizing Committee and this will not be subject to appeal.
Any additional questions can be submitted to:
firstname.lastname@example.org for full-length films information.
email@example.com for short films information
Monterrey International Film Festival